Sunday 6 June 2010

Mongo like beans, I thought I heard...















Hears the deal. I sat down to watch Blazing Saddles last night intent on reliving an unpleasantly funny experience.By that I mean one of those times you laughed so hard stuff went up your nose.While you fought for breath you attempted not to break your own ribs as the next gag hit you. And the tears came to your eyes because oxygen levels had dropped dangerously low.

Well I was in the zone, this time around I was getting a funnybone overload ,with pride I appreciated the inside jokes like using the opening bars of "Springtime ( for Hitler and Germany) to introduce the teutonic temptress Lili Von Schtupp. Joy.

Anticipation was ripe. Again I was in the near deserted fleapit choking on my american hard gums with the lads in my class on an endless summer evening made special by being underage.

Then we pan right across the barbed wire to a supper scene that lasts long in the memory and on the wind.

Mel Brooks was a champion of this gem to his studio's chagrin but it was the world's longest flatulence themed movie scene of its time and certainly broke the windy mold.

But it didn't include "mongo like beans". It's a line I have quoted a thousand times in supermarkets, fine dining establishments and around the BBQ to the great merriment of those gathered. Or just my brother.

What have I done? Did it really happen ? Did I imagine it? Did it naturally evolve after the movie was watched too many times?

In the end it didn't matter that much- Blazing Saddles delivered. Too many lines to choose a favorite and so many lines of taste ridden over.

Mongo just loves beans. And my eyes are burning still.

No comments:

Post a Comment